Saturday, February 26, 2011

REFINER'S FIRE

Some time ago, a few ladies met in a certain city to read the scriptures and make them the subject of conversation. While reading the third chapter of Malachi they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse.”  And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.” One lady’s opinion was that it was intended to convey the view of the sanctifying influence of the grace of Christ. Then she proposed to visit a silversmith and report to them what he said on the subject. She went accordingly and without telling the object of her errand, begged to know the process of refining silver, which he fully described to her.


“But Sir,” she said, “do you sit while the work of refining is going on?” “Oh, yes madam, ” replied the silversmith, “I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining be exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured.”
The lady at once saw the beauty, and comfort too, of the expression,
“He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.”
Christ sees it needful to put His children into a furnace. His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Their trials do not come at random; “the very hairs of your head are all numbered.”
As the lady was leaving the shop, the silversmith called her back, and said he had still further to mention, that he only knows when the process of purifying was complete, by seeing his own image reflected in the silver.
Beautiful example! When Christ shall see His own image in His people, His work of purifying will be accomplished.
Author Unknown

In the midst of our troubles and heartaches, it is often difficult, if not impossible, to see how we are being refined. 

As I look back over the hardships of my life, I realize in retrospect that it is in these times that I have grown the most- spiritually, emotionally and mentally.

Though it is a completely different type of fire that I am in right now than I've ever been in before, I know that I am learning and growing every day. I get so frustrated with all that is going on in this country! But I know that God is in control! And I also know that with every day that passes, with every new story that comes out about the further decline of our nation, I become more steadfast than even the day before!

I am being refined in the fire. It's not always easy. In fact, much of the time it is painful in more than one way. But I would not change a thing! One day, I hope to be able to see the reflection of my Jesus in the mirror!

Lord God, I pray for this nation. I pray that she will be refined by Your fire, rather than consumed by its wrath.

I continue to pray for Congresswoman Giffords. She is most certainly going through a trial like she's never gone through before in her life. Please use this to refine her and grow her. Use her life for Your glory.

I pray these things in Jesus Name- Amen.



1 comment:

otusbargains said...

I feel blessed coming across this blog. May God continue to enrich your knowledge. I would like to mention onething about the congresswoman, let every living that loves her keep thanking God on her behalf, for what God has done, what He is doing and what He is about to do in her life. Maybe a thanksgiving service should be held for what God has done.

Seun.
Ireland.