Monday, February 28, 2011

MARVELOUS LIGHT

If you have read much of my blog you have probably noticed that I make many references to music. I love music of all genres. I have found that no matter my mood, there is music to fit. However, I have found that I have to be very careful not to allow myself to wallow in music, if I am feeling down.

Before I realized the power of music, if I was feeling melancholy, I would put on sad music and just indulge myself in the music and the mood. What I did not realize is how suggestive music can be.

I think that I will start exploring this a bit further in my blogging, because it may help someone else identify with this. It wasn't until my husband pointed it out that I truly began to understand how music can affect your mood and even your actions.

But tonight I want to write about God's marvelous Light.

"Marvelous Light" is actually a praise and worship song by Charlie Hall. The first time I heard this song it spoke to my heart. But what I witnessed a few days later changed me.

Before we had kids, my husband I were youth leaders at our church. In fact, I was actually on staff at our church in the youth department. I was the administrative assistant, and I also counseled with many of the girls.

We were youth leaders for a little more than 4 years. During this 4 year period God taught me a lot, and He used me, my life, and my story more times than I can count.

One event that we were a part of leading sticks out in my mind more than any of the others. It was a Spring Retreat. One of the praise and worship songs that we sang during the retreat was "Marvelous Light" by Charlie Hall.

One of our guest speakers was a very dear friend of mine. One night, as we were singing and worshipping, I happened to notice some movement out of the corner of my eye. What I witnessed was truly one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen!

My friend is a ballerina. She has danced at many church events, so this was not my first time to see her dance. However, this was my first time to witness her simply dancing before the Lord, not in a choreographed worship service or production, but simply in worship and wild abandon. She was completely oblivious to the world around her. She was dancing for Jesus, and Jesus alone. Her entire face was lifted to heaven, the smile on her face radiating.

For me to be able to witness this beautiful expression of adoration and love was breathtaking! I've always dreamed of being a dancer, but to be perfectly honest, I am a klutz! I absolutely LOVE to dance, and I give it my best shot! But dancing is by no means one of my "talents"! Oh, but I do not let that fact stop me! As the saying goes, I dance as if no one is watching!

My friend had absolutely no idea that anyone saw her. She was at the back of the room, hidden from view for the most part. However, I saw a glimpse of heaven that night! It was not her intention at all for anyone to see her but God. But I witnessed something I will never forget that night. Yes, my friend is a very talented dancer. But that is not what made this experience so beautiful for me. It was seeing my friend use her talent to worship God in a way that I would never have imagined had I not witnessed it with my own eyes! I was blessed by worshipping Jesus with her that night. And it changed me forever!

Lord Jesus, You ARE my Marvelous Light! I ran to You, out of darkness and shame. You alone are the Truth, the Life and the Way. Because of Your sacrifice on the cross sin has lost its power and death has lost its sting. From the grave, Lord Jesus, You rose VICTORIOUSLY!

Lord Jesus, I pray that You will shine Your marvelous Light on this country. Draw this country to You, out of the darkness and shame that we have become as a nation. I pray that this nation will see the Light that I have found in You and You alone.

I pray that You will shine Your marvelous Light of love and healing on Congresswoman Giffords. Bless her and keep her in Your marvelous Light, Lord Jesus.

I pray these things in Jesus Name-Amen.

No comments: