Thursday, March 3, 2011

EDUCATION DOES NOT EQUATE WISDOM

We are living in a time where we have the sum of human knowledge at our fingertips. All I have to do is type in a topic to search online and in milliseconds, anything and everything I could ever want to know about that topic is available to me.

I find it ironic, interesting, and so very sad that with this capability we as a nation rank very poorly in all academic subjects.

As I listen to the news media, talking heads, pundits of all forms and fashion, I hear and see a wealth of information- actual facts. Unfortunately, so much of the time the actual facts are drowned out or twisted around to fit someones agenda.

I question everything and everyone. I am an avid Glenn Beck viewer, and a couple of years ago he started quoting Thomas Jefferson: "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

I question everything Glenn Beck presents on his show. In fact, today I watched a clip from this morning's radio show that has me baffled. I completely disagree with him about something, but hey, that's the beauty of America! We have the rights and freedoms to disagree with anyone about anything! But just because I disagree with him on something does not mean I discount everything he says.

Many people discount Glenn Beck because he is not a "college educated" person. Many people discount him because he is "Mormon". There are probably some that discount him because he is a male; others very well may discount him because he is white. And Oh My Goodness, put those two things together: he's a white male and he's lost all credibility!

What I find interesting though, is how often the "educated" people are touted as the ones who "know all the answers", yet they have absolutely no common sense whatsoever! Education does not equate common sense. Education does not equate wisdom.

I would much rather have wisdom than "book smarts". I know that I do not have all the answers. I know that I don't know it all about everything! And it does not bother me one single iota that I do not know it all about everything.

Neither will I claim to be the wisest person that ever walked. However, that is my constant prayer. In the Bible, James 1:5 says that if we ask God for wisdom, He will give it freely. As I continued to read the Scriptures on wisdom, I realized that though I seek wisdom every day, I still have a long way to go!

We have many leaders who have an education, yet are lacking in common sense and wisdom. I pray for our leaders. We are in a time where much wisdom is needed on every issue that we face as a nation, and in the world. I pray for President Obama, that God will give him the wisdom he needs in this position that he was appointed to. I firmly believe that he was called for such a time as this. I believe that this nation is reaping the just rewards for her actions. But I pray that our President will humble himself and pray and ask God Almighty for the wisdom that he needs to lead this nation. He has not shown wisdom in any of the decisions that he has made as President that I can think of.

I read that President Obama is rejecting the idea of allowing our border agents to be armed when they are in Mexico. I am completely boggled by this! With the violence that is going on, how in the world can he reject this idea? He is allowing our men and women to put themselves in harms way but not allowing them to arm themselves with the necessary means of protecting themselves! This is a travesty!

I pray every single day for President Obama's safety, as I do every other leader. In no way do I want any harm to come to him or anyone else for that matter. But he is no better than the men and women who are protecting our borders! If President Obama is rejecting the idea of allowing our border agents to arm themselves, then he should be willing to go without his Secret Service agents and arming himself in any way!

Yes, I realize this is a ridiculous thing to even consider. In the same way, it is absolutely ridiculous not to allow our brave men and women who are protecting us to arm themselves! Lord God, I pray with every fiber of my being that You will give President Obama wisdom on this and every other thing he faces. I pray that he will seek Your wisdom, and not trust in himself. Proverbs 28:26 makes it clear that those who rely on their own knowledge instead of seeking Your ways and Your wisdom are nothing but fools.

Lord God, I praise You for the miracle of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. I read today that she is singing and eating soup! All praise and glory and honor be to You, King Jesus! I pray that You will continue the work You have begun in her!

I pray for this nation. I pray that we will be united instead of further divided.

I pray all of these things in the precious Name of Jesus Christ- Amen.

No comments: