Wednesday, February 9, 2011

OH, THE THINGS WE TAKE FOR GRANTED!

Once again, today is a day that I had to think about what I would write and pray about. As I have said previously, some days I just know all day what is on my heart, and what I feel God wants me to pray about publicly. Other days it becomes late in the evening and I still have no clue what direction God wants me to go. So I sit and wait on Him.

I am committed to praying every day for this nation. For our people. What started out as a prayer blog for Congresswoman Giffords after she was shot has turned into something very intriguing to me.

Today, for Congresswoman Giffords, I am still singing songs of rejoicing! It was reported that she is now talking. She was able to ask for toast this morning! I bet that had to be the best toast she has ever tasted!

Oh, the things we take for granted! I am sure Congresswoman Giffords never imagined that asking for a piece of toast would become a major milestone in her life. For a woman who has accomplished much in her life, and now represents the people of Arizona in Congress, I am sure she never imagined that her life would change so drastically in a split second.

Just like we all do, I am sure she took her voice- her literal voice- for granted. I know I do! It never is a thought in my mind that I may not be able to speak tomorrow. So please do not misunderstand me. I am by no means accusing Ms. Giffords of something horrible. I am no different. I just take it for granted that tomorrow will be the same for me as today was. I am sure Ms. Giffords thought the same. We all make our plans for tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. But in one, single breath everything can change.

Oh, the things we take for granted! Freedom!

I never, in all my life- even as late as a couple of years ago, imagined that the freedoms I enjoyed would be threatened as they are now. Oh, I know how blessed I am to living in America- the land of the free and the home of the brave. I was raised to appreciate and honor the country that I live in. I have grandfathers and other relatives that have fought and died for me to live free today. But I never would have imagined that in my lifetime this country would change so drastically! I never imagined that I would have to personally stand up and fight to keep the freedoms that I so enjoy. I never imagined that I would have to stand and protect the blessing that has been bestowed upon me. I never imagined that I would have to guard these freedoms every day of my life.

But everything has changed. Oh, the things we take for granted!

Our freedoms have been slowly eroding away for many years. I would say more than 100 years now, the slow erosion has been taking place. And we- the American people- have taken these freedoms for granted.

I look at life differently now. I now look through the lens of yesterday. This is very strange for me, because I am not old. Oh, I'm sure my kids think I'm ancient! But hey, I'm still in the prime of my life! I've not hit "The Big 4-0" yet!  And yet, it seems like a lifetime ago that America was the epitome of baseball games, apple pie and dinner on the ground.

Oh... the things we take for granted.

Lord God, I pray that You will help me to never, ever again take freedom for granted. By this I mean my literal freedom in the country that I live in, but the freedom from sin that is Salvation through You. Lord, help me to always remember, appreciate and guard the freedoms that are such a blessing.

I pray again today for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. I praise Your Holy Name for her continued progress. You are the God of healing! Thank You for this miracle through the life of this beautiful lady. I pray that You will continue to heal her and use her life for Your glory. I continue to pray for her husband as he prepares to command the last shuttle mission. Be with him, guide him, give him peace and comfort as he makes preparations for the flight, and during the flight as well.

I continue to pray for this country. Lord, please open the blinded eyes that refuse to see who You Are. I know You will never force someone to believe. My heart just aches for those who refuse You. I truly cannot imagine my life without You. Soften hearts Lord, that they may come to know Your peace and love.

I pray all these things in the Name of Jesus- Amen.

No comments: