Tuesday, February 1, 2011

THE LOVE OF MONEY

How often have you heard it said, "Money is the root of all evil"? Probably more times than you can recall.

Do you know that this is a misquoted Bible Scripture?

'For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Timothy 6:10

Money, in and of itself, is not evil. It is the love of money that is the root of all evil.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've shaken my head in disgusted amazement at how far people will go for fifteen minutes of fame.



In this new age of reality TV, men and women alike are more than willing, and actually excited, to lose any semblance of self respect, all in the name of becoming famous.

How often have these fifteen minutes of fame passed by, and these individuals who've thrown away their self-respect been forgotten before those fifteen minutes are even over?

It also amazes me how often you see parents actually encouraging, and sometimes even pressuring their children to sell themselves out all in the name of fortune and fame. In some instances, even, you have the parent themselves actually exploiting the child for their own gain.

One show in particular that comes to my mind is Toddlers and Tiaras, or something along those lines. I may have the name wrong, because I've only seen the commercial and became physically ill from just the commercial. How in the world can a parent subject their child to this kind of treatment?

Then there's Bridezilla. My question is how in the world can any man be willing to spend his life with someone that acts the way these women act? Oh wait.. I forgot. Marriage is no longer seen as the sacred union that God intends it to be. Most people these days go into marriage with the attitude, "if it doesn't work, we'll just get a divorce."

With these reality shows I am sure there are many perks along the way. How willing are these people to "up the anty", so to speak, for more drama, which brings higher ratings, which brings more money, which brings more fame, which brings more money.

Does it really work this way, in the real world?

Oh, in some cases, I know that it does. In many other cases it does not happen this way.

So my question for all of these people is simply this: "Was it really worth it?"

For those that did become rich and famous and lose their self-respect, was it really worth it?

For those that did not become rich and famous and yet still lost their self-respect, was it really worth it?

Our society has become so warped in what is truly the valuable things in life. We truly have lost our way. When we are willing to not only sell out ourselves, but our children as well, we are in a very dangerous place. Greed. Selfishness.

Yes, indeed, it is the love of money that is the root of all evil. Being wealthy does not make you evil. The real question is what drives you? What is your goal? What do you do with your wealth?

I know that this nation was not all "sunshine and lollipops" when I was a child. There were harsh realities then, just as there have been all throughout time. And I know that this time in history- our nation is not in the "worst place" of any other time in history. Quite the opposite, in fact. Have you ever read of Rome during the days of the Coliseums? People were killed for nothing more than sport and wealth.

How quickly we are headed back to the same place! And sadly, the same fate.

Lord God, I pray not only for this nation, but for all creation. Yes, we are indeed a blessed nation. This nation was created by Your hand of Divine Providence. You have shown endless love and mercy and forgiveness to a nation that has slowly and consistently turned her back on you. She wonders where You are; why are we suffering the way we are? Open her eyes, Lord God. Help her to see she has taken You out of every aspect of our lives as a nation, so as with everything, this choice brings consequences. I pray that America will humble herself before You and repent for her sins. Your mercy will only last so long.

I pray for the world that is a powder keg on the edge of exploding into full blown war. I am not worried, Lord, because I know that You are in control. If there is a terrorist attack, I know my fate. I know where my eternity is. I will forever worship at Your feet. But there are many, billions, Lord God, that do not know You. So many deny Your existence. So many believe that there is no life after death. Just because they do not believe does not make it true. Truth- real Truth- is not subjective. It is what It is.

I pray that blind eyes will be opened. I pray that hearts will be softened. Reveal Your glory and majesty to the unbelieving. I know many will still deny You, because of hardened hearts. But Lord, I know You are merciful.

I continue to pray today, as I do always, for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly. There has not been a lot of news the last few days, but I am actually somewhat glad. I pray that they are allowed their privacy so that Ms. Giffords can heal. I pray that You will be their strength during this time of recovery. Bind them together in Your love and mercy, Lord Jesus.

I pray all of these things in Jesus Name- Amen.

No comments: