Sunday, February 13, 2011

LIKE SANDS THROUGH THE HOURGLASS

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

I'm sure you recognize this statement. Even for those of you who have never seen a single second of the daytime drama/soap opera which has been around for more than 40 years, this intro is one of the most well-known phrases in our society.

I'm actually one that watched "Days of Our Lives" for many years.

It has been years and years since I've watched the show, but the intro line is one I'll never forget.

Yes, like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. Why is this so poignant for so many people, I wonder?

For me, the reality of what it means is very sobering. Unlike an hourglass, we cannot turn start over from the beginning of our lives. However, we can turn our lives over, and get a fresh start. The question then becomes WHAT are you going to DO with the fresh start?

We ALL have a chance to make a fresh start. Are you happy with your life right now? If not, all it takes is one step in the other direction. That is the start of the journey to turning your hourglass over.

As I look back and reflect on the time in my life where I tipped my hourglass over, started fresh, and never looked back, I realize now how many people do not do this. Why, I wonder? I believe it is because it is much easier to stay with what you know.

The unknown can be very scary. But, the unknown can also be very rewarding.

So are the days of our lives.... what are YOU going to do with the sands that remain in YOUR hourglass?

I continue to pray today for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly. Their hourglass tilted, almost toppled over, and has set itself right side up again. I can imagine that every grain of sand that cascades down the contour of their hourglass is so very precious. Oh yes, one day, I'm sure, just like all of us, they will get caught up in the day-to-day activities of life. However, all it takes is a breath to remember how so very precious life is. In an instant, everything can change.

So often we become complacent with the sands of our hourglass. We often come to believe we have a "boring" life. But what happens when your hourglass is threatened with shattering?

Lord God, I pray that when I have those times of complacency that You will remind me how blessed I am. Life- every single breath- is precious. Our time on earth is merely a breath of eternity. Even if we live to be 100 years or more, it's never long enough to do all we want to do. Help me to always appreciate the blessings in my life. May I never forget that in a second- in one breath- it can all be gone.

I pray these things in Jesus Name- Amen.

No comments: