Sunday, March 20, 2011

YOU GOT TO KNOW WHEN...

As I've thought over my previous post, I am reminded of an old Kenny Rogers song, "The Gambler". I'm sure that if you've read my previous post you are wondering how in the world this song comes to mind. The post has nothing at all to do with gambling, playing cards, or anything that entails.

However, the course speaks volumes for me, in my life:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done


Now, one thing you will learn about me is that I march to the beat of a different drummer. I've always been this way! In fact, I grew up in the '80's and was always known for wearing a "different style" of clothes... and this is in the '80's, when "different" WAS the style!


Maybe the reason this chorus reverberates over and over in my mind as I look back over my life experiences is because so much of the time I did not know when to hold 'em, fold 'em, walk away, or run. So much of my life I have made the wrong decision, no matter what decision I made.

As I've gotten older I have begun to pray fervently that God will give me wisdom. I am an "impetuous" person by nature, so I have to really think about what the proper action or reaction is in certain situations.

Though I am an impetuous person by nature, oddly enough, I am not a gambler. I guess this is because I recognize my addictive personality, and have for many years. Another strange fact about me that you will probably find almost unbelievable, given my past-I have never tried any kind of illegal drugs. Looking back, I believe it is because deep down inside, even years ago, I recognized the danger I was to myself. Thankfully, God Almighty protected me from myself for many, many years!

All of life is a gamble, in reality. Just waking up in the morning is a miracle.

With all that is going on in the world, so many are worried about radioactive fall-out from Japan's nuclear sites; an earthquake here in the United States (a MAJOR one has been predicted within the next week); another terrorist attack; or my biggest concern, our very own government. While I know that God is in control, I do wonder how this is all going to play out.

Life has always been a gamble. But in this day and time it is even more so.

It is my fervent prayer that I will continually listen to God's voice so that I know when to hold 'em; fold 'em; walk away; or run. I'm not counting my money at the table... the time for counting money is when the dealin's done.

In this perspective, the dealin's done when I stand before God Almighty and give Him an account of my life. I have failed Him miserably so much of the time. I continually ask His forgiveness for where I have failed Him.

Some days it is a struggle for me to continue to be the leader- the witness of Him in my life. Some days my natural reaction is to let my mouth overload my butt. And there are days that I do. However, I have a calling on my life. When everything in this life is over, I hope the gamble of my life is profitable!

Lord God, thank You for the call You have on my life. You called me many years ago, and You continued to pursue me when Satan sought to kill me, steal the calling on my life, and destroy my calling and my life.

I pray that You will keep me humble before You. Help me to hear Your voice and Your leading as I continue this journey- not just in life, but in this blog. It has taken a completely different turn than I ever could have imagined. However, I am surrendered to Your will and purpose in my life.

I continue to pray for Congresswoman Giffords. It is a true joy to be called to pray for her on a daily basis. Praying for her healing, health and well-being has given me peace in the trauma and stress I felt in the hours and days after her shooting. I never imagined that her tragedy would bring back memories from events in my own life, though they are completely different and in no way related. It is just another way that You use each of us, and each of our life experiences, in ways we can never imagine. I pray that You will continue to heal her and use her life for Your glory and honor.

I pray once again for President Obama. I know he has been "chosen for such a time as this." I continue to pray that he will humble himself before You and lead this nation in a way that is pleasing in Your eyes. Because I have read The Bible, I know this is probably not going to happen. However, it is my consistent prayer that this nation sees a miracle in our President some day.

I believe time is short. There are many people who have rejected You. I pray for all those who have rejected You.

I pray for the turmoil that is going on across the world. Bring peace and comfort to the people of Japan. Help them to heal and turn their eyes to You.

I pray for the nations in the Middle East. I know there will be no real peace until You walk this earth once again, Jesus. But I pray that many will come to know You before it is too late for them. Eternity is just a breath away for any of us.

I pray for the apple of Your eye- Your chosen people, Israel. Bless her and keep her, Lord, as the world unites against her. My heart breaks because once again, I've read The Bible. I know what is to come. My heart cries out in anguish to know that the entire world will come against Your people. Until my dying breath I will stand to honor and protect her.

I pray all of these things in the beautiful Name of Messiah- Yeshua Ha'Mashiach- Amen.

No comments: