Monday, March 21, 2011

FREEDOM

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!" 
~ William Wallace ~
"Braveheart"

Last night, I watched one of my all-time favorite movies. It's been a long while since I've watched it, but I happened to be flipping through the channels and saw it was on. What a perfect time in history for me to be reminded of the bravery of William Wallace.

Obviously, I am talking about the Mel Gibson movie, "Braveheart".

If you have never seen this movie, I definitely recommend it!

Though this is a "fictional representation" of history, it is based on the life of a real man in 13th Century Scotland. I won't give a synopsis of the movie here, because I do not want to ruin the movie if you have not seen it; and if you have seen it, you know the intricate beauty that it encompasses.

There are many, many aspects of this movie that draws me in. Number one, I love history. Number two, I am a hopeless romantic at heart. Number three, the fight for freedom is in my blood. I guess in reality, the number three reason should be my number one reason.

Without freedom, we are truly slaves. This seems to be a given, but it amazes me how this is not obvious to the masses. It's strangely eerie how so many aspects of this movie can be applied to current day affairs. Change the setting and the characters, and you have the exact same scenario today, in modern day America.

To type those words literally sends ice through my veins! We are the LAND OF THE FREE! Both of my grandfather's fought in World War II for freedom's sake. My father-in-law fought in the Vietnam War for freedom's sake. Both my dad and my husband tried to enlist in the military, but due to medical reasons, neither of them were able to join the military. Most of my ancestors were "freedom fighters" of some sort.

To know that decades and centuries later, depending on what point in history you look at, the very freedoms that I enjoyed as a child are threatened saddens me to the very core of my being. Already, my children do not know the freedoms I knew as a child. We, as Americans, have taken our freedom for granted for many, many years. My generation has no clue what it is like to not live in freedom. Unfortunately, we are seeing that reality realized more and more every day.

Because we have stood silent for so long, because we have taken the blessings of freedom for granted for so long, it is now under attack.
There are so many quotes that I love in the movie "Braveheart". In fact, I could have made the majority of this post quotes from the movie and it could have stood alone, with nothing more needing to be said by me.  There are also a couple of "sub-plots" to the movie that are eerily similar to today as well.

Again, for the sake of not giving away too much of the story for those who have not seen the movie, and for the sake of not re-telling the story for those who have, I will not go into detail. However, politics are very much a part of this movie. The "special interest group" seeks to "negotiate" with William Wallace to stop his fight for freedom.

William Wallace: A lordship and titles. Gold. That I should become Judas?
Princess Isabelle: Peace is made in such ways.
William Wallace: Slaves are made in such ways.

William Wallace understood full well that negotiating away your principles leads to nothing but slavery. In the name of "political peace negotiations" the very freedoms our Founding Father's fought for have bought us nothing but a return to slavery. We are becoming slaves to the government more and more every day that I live. The "elite" that make the laws of this land have sold us out. Our elected officials- no matter what side of the aisle you are on politically- have lured We The People into a false sense of compromise and peace. Most of our elected officials feel they are "entitled" to the best because they are the "elected"... the "elite few" who make our laws and govern this land.

To quote the movie once again:
William Wallace: It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom.
William Wallace understood the importance of freedom. He was not willing to sell out and betray his friends- the common men of Scotland- for a title, gold, and other treasures. William Wallace was a man of principles that understood that if you do not stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Robert the Bruce: This Wallace... he doesn't even have a knighthood. But he *fights*, with *passion*, and he *inspires*.
America, where is your passion? Have you truly forgotten the beauty of freedom? Do you understand, as William Wallace did, that it's all for nothing if you do not have freedom?

William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.
William Wallace understood that just because you are in a leadership position does not mean you are entitled to that position. He was willing to risk- and give- his very life- to see his fellow countrymen be free!

 Robert the Bruce: I respect what you said, but remember that these men have lands and castles. It's much to risk.
William Wallace: And the common man, who bleeds on the battlefield, does he risk less?

Our fore father's risked everything they had to purchase the freedoms we enjoy today. Though they are slowly slipping away, and are a mere reflection of what I knew as "freedom" in my childhood, we are still abundantly blessed in this nation. Too many have thought about the risks and have sold out for "security's sake". What has it gotten us, I ask you?  The common man in America has the opportunities to have land and castles just as the "ruling class" have. However, because we have not held the "ruling class" accountable, the common man is fast on the road to slavery to the "ruling class" once again.

Robert the Bruce: Lands, titles, men, power... Nothing.
He finally realizes what William Wallace has known all his life- it's all for nothing if you do not have freedom! All the money and power and titles in the world will not purchase freedom. Is it really worth it?

William Wallace: We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why.
Under the guise of "safety and security" we have allowed our freedoms to be taken away. Now, if we want to fly, we must be x-rayed.  On September 11, 2001, people were going about their normal lives on a normal day. In an instant, life as we knew it ceased to exist. Terrorists attacked our land- our freedom- and we were frightened! Yes, I too was very much afraid at what was happening that fateful day! The people who died on September 11, 2001, had no idea that would be the day they died, nor did they know they would die because hijacked planes would be flown into buildings. The heroes who died on Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania died that day as well. However, they had heard the news of what was going on. They knew they were going to die no matter what. They had the courage to rise up and fight the terrorists for freedom's sake. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the passengers on the other planes would have done the exact same thing had they realized what was going on. Unfortunately, they had no idea what was happening until it was too late.

I believe that the heroes who stood up to the terrorists on Flight 93 that crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania understood exactly what William Wallace understood. We all die- it's just a question of how and why. The brave souls who stood up and fought for freedom that day gave their lives. How sad that in the name of "safety and security" we as a nation are betraying the very thing they died for! Their bravery has been negotiated for fear of another attack! How very sad!

William Wallace:  ...men don't follow titles, they follow courage.
I know many people with titles. Unfortunately, many people with titles have absolutely no courage at all! I can think of very few names off the top of my head that are an example of true courage in leadership today. However, one name does stand out to me. Darrell Issa, a Representative from California.  Now, I do not know everything about this man. I am sure there are things in his past that are not exemplary. However, I believe this can be applied to us all!

In a day and age where I trust absolutely no one in leadership, I believe that Darrell Issa is a man who exhibits courage. We need an army of leaders with courage to stand up and truly lead this nation out of the mess we are in! We need leaders who do not look at party affiliation, but instead stand on their principles for FREEDOM'S sake! People will follow and support courage. We could care less about a title!

William Wallace: I have been given nothing. God makes men what they are.
Americans need to take this quote to heart. None of us have been given anything! God Almighty makes us who and what we are! Now, in adding to this quote, I believe that it is actually our attitude regarding the circumstances of our lives that allows or prevents God from making us who we are called to be. But I completely agree with the basic gist of the quote. I have been given nothing. You have been given nothing. Our freedom has been bought and paid for by a very steep price! Our fore fathers fought and gave their life's blood so that we would have the freedom's we enjoy today! However, our sense of entitlement is destroying us! We, as a nation, believe that we deserve the luxuries of freedom, but very few are willing to give what it takes to insure these freedoms never die!

William Wallace: Every man dies, not every man really lives.
It is appointed unto every man to die once. Everyone who is born eventually dies. Sadly, so many people are afraid of death, yet every one of us will face it. How sad it is that the above quote sums up so many lives. How many people lay dying on their death beds and realize they never truly lived? I would rather die a horribly tragic death at a young age, than die a peaceful death at a ripe old age, if it means that I truly live every day of my life to its fullest potential.

I am not willing to sacrifice my freedom for a false sense of security. Nothing worth having comes free. Nothing! Many people have shed their blood, sweat and tears and have given their very lives so that I may enjoy freedom today! I refuse to betray all that they gave!

Lord God, I pray today for freedom! I thank You for the opportunity to live in freedom. I praise You for the blessings that freedom grants me. I worship You and thank You for my eternal freedom, which You bought and paid for with Your life's blood on the cross. Though my post today is about liberty and freedom in America, I also realize if it were not for Your sacrifice on the cross that freedom would not exists at all today.

I pray for this nation, Lord. We have become complacent. It is a sad situation to see where we are headed! My heart aches, knowing what is to come. However, my heart sings, knowing that You are in control, and that I have freedom- not just in my country, but in knowing You. This, above all, gives me peace that passes all understanding in this troublesome time of chaos and calamity.

I pray for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. I pray that justice will be carried out in her name. The attack on her and those she represents is reprehensible! I pray that justice is not sacrificed in the name of political correctness and the judicial system. I know You say that vengeance is Yours. I do not pray for vengeance, I leave that to You. However, I do pray for justice!

I pray for President Obama. I pray that his agenda to stamp out our freedoms will be stopped cold in its tracks. I pray that he will humble himself before You and seek Your will and purpose for this great nation. He was called to lead this nation. He was elected by the people to represent us. Though I did not vote for him, he was elected to represent me just as well as those who did vote for him. I pray that he will open his eyes and see that without freedom there is nothing!

I pray for the people of Israel. Lord God, protect her and keep her safe. I know that the world is coming against her. I know that she will stand alone as a nation someday very soon. I pray that Your promise to her will give her hope. Help her to see that she is never truly alone, because You are always there with her.

Lord God, I pray all these things in the Name of Jesus Christ- the Author of Freedom! Amen!

William Wallace: FRRRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!

No comments: