Monday, March 28, 2011

WHO CAN SATISFY?

I love music. And when I like a song, you know it. Yes, I am one of "those" who will play a song over and over and over. I have literally had one song on perpetual "repeat" for weeks at a time. It drives my husband crazy.
Some time ago, I was listening to a sermon online by Dr. David Jeremiah. Before the sermon started, the choir at his church sang a song that drew me in. It's just one of those songs you cannot get out of your head. So, I went searching. It's not a highly popular song, so I have not really been able to find a decent recording of it. Oh, how I wish I could have a copy of his church choir singing it!

I will enclose the lyrics of the song, as well as a YouTube video of it at the end of this post.

In listening to the song I began to think about the words and the meaning of them in my life. I guess that is one reason why it hit me the way it did.

Putting all this in perspective in another way is the fact that I am doing my Spring Cleaning. If you read my previous post you know that it has turned into a completely different project this year than it has any other year.

I- we-  my family... has all this STUFF! So much of it there is absolutely no purpose or reason for having it. It is just here, occupying space, and in some instances, actually getting in the way.

I am actually a very sentimental person. After my first husband's suicide I went through counseling and Survivors of Suicide group therapy. One thing that I realized through that process and my overall healing is that all the stuff is not the memories. The memories last forever. The stuff is just that... stuff!

Another thing I came to realize over the overall healing process is that sometimes we hold onto things for sentimental reasons and rather than helping us they in fact hurt us. While I loved my first husband, we had a very tumultuous relationship in a lot of ways. No, he never physically abused me, but in many ways we did not treat each other with love and respect.

I've gone through several different periods of cleaning out. Before this process I would have held onto everything I could just because it was some link to the past. But as I began the deep soul-searching in my healing I realized that in some of these things the memories are not pleasant at all. So I began to question myself on why I would hold onto things that do not bring me happy memories.

This Spring Cleaning is different from that in that I am not getting rid of bad memories... I am simply getting rid of things that do not have a purpose and a reason to share space with my family and I in our home.

So, in all of this, again, my mind has been whirling. I'm sure by now, if you've read any of my blog, you know that I tend to think things over too much sometimes. So I have been asking myself, "Why? Why do we have all of these things if we do not really need them?" As I've pondered this, I've come to realize a lot of things.

I am not the kind of person that thinks "things" are the key to happiness. I am also one of the rare women who absolutely DETESTS shopping! If I go shopping I go get exactly what I need and get out. I absolutely HATE shopping for clothes with a purple passion because I know I am  going to have to try things on! This just takes up too much of my time!

But yet I still get caught up in this rat race. I too am looking for "satisfaction" in things.

For me I think it is more the "satisfaction of being prepared"... you know, "well, one day I may need this!"

And yet, interestingly enough I am absolutely not a pack-rat! Everything has to have it's place! Unfortunately, too many things have a place!

How often we look for everything in the world to satisfy our soul. We chase fame and fortune, friends, the coolest car, the best job.... the list could go on and on.

We are chasing everything and everyone to give us the satisfaction we crave. There is an overflowing fountain that can and will satisfy every craving of our soul. He is The King of kings! He is a victorious Warrior fighting for us in all that we do. He is The Lord of everything that is, has been or ever will be. He is my Rock. He is my Shelter. He is my very own! He is my blessed Redeemer Who reigns upon the throne! He is indeed the only One Who can satisfy the cravings of my soul.

My Jesus... You alone satisfy all that I need! I have many blessings in my life, but the only true satsifcation is in You.

Lord God, please forgive me for losing sight in the rat-race that is life. I am the world's worst in slowing down. I know that You understand me like no other person ever will. You created me. You know what makes me tick. And You know how to reach me when I'm fluttering around. Most of the time it is through music.

I pray tonight for anyone who reads this blog and sees themselves in anything that I have written. I pray that You will use my passion for writing to bless other lives.

Lord.... tonight I pray for those of the Muslim faith. This has been an issue that has been truly on my heart. I've not known exactly how to pray for them, but it has been a constant on my mind and heart for years. I know that You know my thoughts and prayers even when I do not. Tonight, I put this before You. I pray for the women who are victimized by this religion. I pray for any and all of those who are training to martyr themselves in the hopes of paradise. Lord God, this is nothing but a lie from the very pits of hell! I do not understand how anyone would so freely serve a god who expects them to die and kill others to earn their reward. I pray for the people of this religion- that their eyes will be opened. So many say that they serve the same god we do. No, this is not at all true! You, Lord God, are the God of love and peace and forgiveness! You have never called us to kill unbelievers! You tell us to forgive those who hurt us.  The Muslim god calls for death to those who do not believe as they do.

I continue to pray for Congresswoman Giffords. Continue to heal her heart, mind, body and soul from this vicious attack against her.

I pray for this nation. I pray that we would be united, standing up for what this nation truly stands for!

I pray for our president. Give him wisdom. Humble his heart.

I pray for the nation and people of Israel. There is such a hatred for Your chosen people, Lord God. I know this is foretold in Your Word, but my heart truly aches at the hostility that is directed at them. Protect them and keep them always!

I pray all of these things in the precious Name of Jesus Christ- Amen.

Who Can Satisfy
Words and Music by Dennis Jernigan

Who can satisfy my soul
Who on earth can comfort me
And love me like You do
Who could ever be more faithful and true
I will trust in You
I will trust in You my God

There is a fountain
Who is a King

Victorious warrior and Lord of everything
My rock my shleter my very own
Blessed Redeemer
Who reigns upon the throne


Who could ever be more faithful and true
I will trust in You
I will trust in You
I will trust in You my God

Who reigns upon the throne
Who reigns upon the throne

© 1989 Shepherd's Heart Music, Inc.

This recording is not very good, but the song is AWESOME!
My victorious Warrior reigns upon the throne!


No comments: