Tuesday, January 25, 2011

STANDING FOR TRUTH

What is truth?

Our society is so skewed in its views, and so much of the time we change and adapt our ways and views to match those around us. We don't want to be the odd-ball in the crowd. In the process we ultimately put on various masks, oftentimes covering up one mask with another mask and then another and another. Before long, we have so many masks piled on that we do not even see who we truly are when we look in the mirror.

For many years of my life I lived a complete lie. In fact, I lied so much that it eventually came to the point that I could not tell the difference between the truth and a lie. There have been a couple of times when I will start telling my husband something that I've told many times over the years, and suddenly I will stop. I will look at him and say, "That is not true. I've told it for so long that it just became truth to me."

It is a very scary thing to not know what the truth is about something. It is even more scary to realize that it is your own life that you do not know what the truth is. I did not have an accident that took away my memory, I simply chose to deny the reality of my life. Denying the reality did not change reality. Reality is reality, whether I like it or not.

We must come to a point in our life- individually- where we look at ourselves in the mirror and take off all the masks we have put on. When we get to the end of our life, what is going to matter? What is going to be important?

When I got to that point in my life, the reality of what I saw was not pretty at all. It was in fact very scary for me to face. It was not an easy thing for me to do. It was even more difficult for me to face the people I know and love and tell them how much of my life had been a lie. But once I finally face it and spoke the truth I felt free for the first time in a very long time! I didn't have to keep up with the lies anymore! Living in truth is not always easy, but it is much more difficult to live a lie.

Today, the world has come to "see" truth as subjective. What may be true for me is not necessarily true for someone else. Does that make both of us correct, in our own little worlds? To some, they will answer yes. My truth is my truth, their truth is their truth. However, is this THE truth?

There are some things that are absolute. Just because I say that the color red is blue does not make it so. Is it my perception? Am I lying? Have I lost my mind?

In a world where your perception can be accepted as truth, or it is OK to lie, or the argument of insanity gives you a free pass, how do we determine what truth is?

I believe the slow erosion of our moral values is one of the main factors in truth becoming subjective. One of the headlines in the last week was that Fox had pulled a Super Bowl ad for a company that advertises dating services specifically for married people. It is now seen as no big deal to many people to have affairs when you are married. In fact, there are people that go into marriage mutually agreeing to have an open marriage. Does this make it OK, because both parties agree to it?

In 1973 the U.S. Supreme Court made it "legal" for a woman to have an abortion. Yet, if a pregnant woman is attacked, and she loses the baby, or she is killed and so is the baby, the one who committed the crime can be charged for murdering the baby. So- it is OK for woman to decide to end the life of the child- but someone attacks her and murders the child, and it is not OK?

Someone can plot and plan days, weeks, months or years ahead to kill someone yet claim not guilty by reason of insanity, and this is OK?

When you allow subjective ideas to stand as truth, it doesn't make it truth. There has to be a universal standard by which everything and everyone is measured. Just because a husband and wife "agree" between the two of them to have an open marriage does not make it right. It is still adultery.

Politically, when the Democrats are in office, the Republicans accuse them of lies about various things. When the Republicans are in office, the Democrats accuse the Republicans of lying about various things.

If something is not FACT, it is NOT truth. Period.

My question to you is what are YOU going to do? Are you going to allow yourself to continue down the deceptive road of lies that society feeds you? Are you willing to live out your life in subjectiveness? Or do you want to know FACTS about certain things?

If you decide that you want to live in subjectiveness, do not be surprised if one day you wake up and realize the happiness that you thought you were living is in fact nothing more than excrement piled high on top of nothingness. Just because we choose to believe something does not make it true. Dog poop covered with whip cream does not make for a delicious treat. It is still just a pile of dog poop with whip cream, no matter how you spin it.

The reason I started this blog was to pray for Congresswoman Giffords after she was shot. It did not surprise me yesterday when the man that committed these horrendous acts went to court and pled "Not Guilty" by reason of insanity. He is not insane! He pre-meditated this horrendous act! He has no remorse whatsoever for his actions. He is enjoying the limelight that is being given him.

Sadly, it will not surprise me if he lives out the rest of his life in a mental hospital rather than him receiving the death penalty. Even if he does receive the death penalty it will be 20 years or more before he is finally executed. The people who's lives ended that day were not afforded the same luxuries. And instead of justice being served he is in fact being rewarded by so people many talking about him and the taxpayers paying for his living expenses. We have truly become a sick and twisted society. The truth of the matter is he took lives. His life should be taken from him.

As always, I continue to pray for his heart to be softened. I pray that he will repent for his actions. Even if he does this, I believe the only justice would be a swift execution. However, I read an article stating that the case will more than likely take years. Yes... this is the reality we have become, America! Is this the reality you want? We have watered down and eroded truth to the point that truth does not stand any longer. Truth is shoved down into the dirt!

I also continue to pray for Congresswoman Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly. It is my prayer that her rehab is going well. I know it is not easy for them, but I pray they will get through this stronger than they were before. I pray that their faith in God Almighty will be stronger than before. I pray that their love and faith and commitment to each other will be even stronger than it was before. I pray that they will feel the love and prayers of the nation in this difficult time.

I pray for this nation.  America, are you content to continue down the road we are on, or are you going to stand for truth once again? It will not be easy. It will be painful. But it will be rewarding! And it WILL be worth it!

No comments: