Wednesday, January 26, 2011

FINDING THE SILVER LINING IN THE CLOUDS

My heart is so very full of joy today! In less than 3 weeks after it was tragically announced that Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords had died from an assassins bullet, she has been upgraded to "Good" condition.

As I have previously stated, the morning of this horrible tragedy, we had not turned on our TV to catch up on the news, so I was not aware of what had happened until I read it online. Up until that moment I cannot recall ever hearing of Congresswoman Giffords. I'm sure I have heard interviews with her, but she is not one that I recognize right off hand.

Not knowing who she was made no difference to me. All I knew was this was a tragedy, no matter who it was. So many lives were affected that day. A little girl, just 9-years-old, had her life cut short way too soon.


From the moment I saw the first headline saying that Ms. Giffords had not died, that she was in surgery, I started praying. At this point I had no idea of her family situation, so I simply prayed for all who love her.

The next day I knew I had to do something. The idea came to me to start this prayer blog. One of my main outlets is writing, and I knew this would help me stay focused.

As the days passed, I prayed continuously for her, as I do now. But I also came to realize that this tragedy could be turned into something positive. We as a nation need to unite. The division surmounts almost on a daily basis. I'm saddened by how many people have used this tragedy to further their own agenda. I do not care who is affected- I ma not agree with them politically or religiously, but that is not important. What is important is that human life is at stake here.

Unfortunately, people did die that day. Thankfully, Congresswoman Giffords did not. I truly, without a doubt, believe that her life is a miracle. The statistics of people who survive what she has survived is astounding! If I am not mistaken it is just 5% that survive.

I believe that she will be restored. I believe that a silver lining can be found in this cloud. In reality, many silver linings could be found in this cloud. What they all are, I do not know. But I know that God promises us in Romans 8:28 that what Satan intends for evil, He will turn to good for those who love Him. 

One silver lining that I have personally found a couple of new friends on twitter. While I have not personally talked to them outside of this topic, they have obviously been affected by this tragedy as well. They are not allowing the politicians and pundits sway them from their goal- uniting everyone they can in honor of Congresswoman Giffords. I do not know their political affiliation or religious beliefs, if they have any. That does not matter to me. What matters to me is that this tragedy is bringing people together in prayer, support and love for a member of Congress. This is the resolve that defines America. Yes, we are unique. We are exceptional. We are blessed beyond measure by God Almighty. So many have forgotten this. I have not.

How each of us handle this tragedy depends on us as individuals. Just as with everything else, everything in life is a choice. Many people choose to wallow in misery and defeat when a tragedy comes their way. Life throws tragedies at us many times in our lives. We have to choose how we will handle each tragedy each time. Will you allow it to defeat you? Or will you allow it to make you stronger?

I will always look to find the silver linings in each cloud that comes my way. It is how I live in joy and peace, rather than simply surviving the game of life. Each tragedy in my life has made me stronger. God has used each one of them for His good, in His own time. No, they were not fun in the midst of things, but I will not let these things define me or destroy me. I pray that Ms. Giffords, her husband Mark Kelly, their extended family and friends will do the same. This can be used for many good things. I also continue to pray for the other families that were affected that day. I pray that each of them will allow God to use this tragedy and turn it good. I pray that they will not let evil win in this horrendous act. I pray that this nation will not let this further divide us.
Thank You, my Lord and Savior, for all You have blessed me with. I have seen tragedy up close. It would have destroyed me if I had not found the silver linings. Thank You for helping me find many silver linings in the darkest of storm clouds. I pray these things in Jesus Name- Amen.

No comments: